There are only 130 days remaining in the countdown to the Langkawi International Mountain Bike Challenge 2014 and with over half a million Ringgit Malaysia (USD 150,000.00) up for grabs this event is destined to attract the pinnacle riders of the mountain bike community from all nationalities. This year there has been a major change to the mens category with the addition of mens open (as distinct from mens elite), this means the men 30-39 are in eligible for part of the massive prize purse without having to compete with the professionals. I can only hope than in 2015 there is an attempt to separate the women’s category in a similar fashion as all the women current race under women’s elite, making it a tough event for us women’s masters riders.
“The LIMBC 2014 prize money is a lucrative increase of USD25,000 from last year’s edition, with the objective to attract more participation from local and regional MTB enthusiasts across five categories – Men’s Elite, Men’s Open, Women’s Elite, Men’s Master and Senior Men’s Master”
“LIMBC 2014 is also set to offer a refreshed outlook for weekend warriors or novice riders aged between 30 to 39 years old with the opportunity to seize the prize money via the newly introduced Men’s Open category and maintaining the Men’s Elite category exclusively for National, State and Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) ranked international riders.”
I have raced LIMBC on two occasions and would jump at the opportunity to return. There are all kinds of rumours surrounding this event and from experience I can validate a few and annul a few others:
- YES this is a dirty event. Langkawi is a beautiful tropical island in Malaysia with a very tumultuous weather pattern that persists through much of the year. The event is in a drier part of the year but there will always be mud so bring mud tires and spares as you are likely to need them.
- YES there are flying and biting insects so bring bug spray and a light weight long sleeve white or light coloured top because you will get bitten otherwise.
- YES Malaysia is part of Asia so you do have to carry hand sanitizer everywhere and be careful what and where you eat…
- There are beautiful beaches and plenty of time post stage to venture across the island scooter-style to experience said cocktails and Malaysian Cuisine
- This is a great race to take your family as they will enjoy the island, it is very small and easily traversed on scooter with many tourist destinations.
- The flights are cheap and the time shift form Australia very doable so with only 8-9hr flying time you are crazy not to take this opportunity to visit Malaysia
- The accommodation package includes accommodation ensuring a central social venue for all riders and there is an Australian crew of Physiotherapists that dedicate their time to ensuring all riders enjoy a post stage massage.
I really enjoy this race as it provides a great opportunity for riders of all capabilities to socialise with the professionals we all watch on television at the UCI Worldcup XCO events in Europe, guys and girls alike. It is a tough event and the stages may appear brief on paper but they are technically challenging in reality, the organisation is efficient and the quality of rider apical…PLUS there is an awesome after party…If you haven’t been to Asia and need an excuse just register!
‘The dates for LIMBC 2014 are scheduled from 13 to 18 October 2014 with weekend warriors and top UCI ranked international riders lining up side by side to race and compete on the same technical, demanding and fun course on the legendary island of Langkawi.
Registrations for LIMBC 2014 and Jamboree Fun Ride are already open. You can register NOW at www.LIMBCMalaysia.com.”
“For last year’s edition, approximately 250 weekend warriors and top ranked Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) international riders competed in LIMBC 2013 and another 2,000 MTB enthusiasts had participated in the Jamboree Fun Ride.”
In short, if you want a tough race in a fun atmosphere on a tropical island with plenty of opportunity to fraternise with the Euros and drink cocktails on the beach all you have to do is register and wait for a cheap flight deal.. holiday done.. PLUS the opportunity to spend a second week or longer just enjoying Asia.