Every marathon stage race has a Queen stage, the longest, hardest stage in the race that offers an opportunity for some riders to show their class, and strikes fear into riders who are not sure of their preparation. Stage 3 was the Queen Stage at the Swiss Epic, as the race tackled 91km and 3000m of climbing from Leukerbad to Verbier.
This transfer stage from Leukerbad to Verbier was partly a bit wet, but again very fast times were set. Nino Schurter and Matthias Stirnemann from the SCOTT-ODLO MTB RACING TEAM took today’s win, closely followed by CENTURION VAUDE with Daniel Geismayr and Jochen Käss.
3rd place went to Alban Lakata and Kristian Hynek from the TOPEAK ERGON RACING TEAM. In the overall ranking the top positions remain the same as the day before, however, the BMC Mountainbike Racing Team I today lost some time with its 4th place.
The Swiss Epic women
In the women’s race Jolanda Neff and Alessandra from the Stöckli Pro Team further improved their lead. In the overall ranking they are already 44 minutes ahead. In the fight for 2nd place Esther Süss and Hielke Elferink, Team Wheeler / Rocky Mountain, overtook Ariane Kleinhans and Corina Gantenbein from team Spur Ötztal today.
New faces in Mixed
The mixed podium has had Cornelia Hug and Adrian Ruhstaller glued to the top step, but Matt Page and Sophie Hemming came through for a 3rd place on today’s stage, which has also improved their overall position coming into the final days of the marathon stage race.
SWISS EPIC Men: Today’s Podium
1. SCOTT-ODLO MTB RACING TEAM, Nino Schurter & Matthias Stirnemann, 4h 29:01min
2. CENTURION VAUDE, Daniel Geismayr & Jochen Käss, 4h 29:07min
3. TOPEAK ERGON RACING TEAM, Alban Lakata & Kristian Hynek, 4h 30min
SWISS EPIC Women: Today’s Podium
1. Stöckli Pro Team, Jolanda Neff & Alessandra Keller, 5h 21min
2. Wheeler / Rocky Mountain, Esther Süss & Hielke Elferink, 5h 40min
3. Team Spur Ötztal, Ariane Kleinhans & Corina Gantenbein, 5h 46min