Another day, another change in the race lead at the 2017 Perskindol Swiss Epic! The crossing of the bungee swinging bridge at Niouc with a 200 metre high view of the canyon floor was today’s highlight for most riders – and for some, the biggest challenge of the day.
This was no problem for the top teams though who were focused on their rivals and their race position. The German Jochen Käss from the Centurion Vaude team was able to mainly overcome the low he had yesterday and, together with his Austrian team partner Daniel Geismayr, took the stage win in 3h 30min by having a lot of fun. The gap also became big enough for them to regain the leader’s jersey.
No gifts at the Swiss Epic
The Swiss Konny Looser and Oliver Zurbrügg from the BiXS Pro team had a harder day today. They were riding with the leading teams for a long time, but in the last climb simply had too tired legs and had to let the others go. They became third today and are now on the second place in the overall ranking, just two minutes behind the leaders.
The Austrian-Swiss team Texpa-Simplon with Christoph Soukup and Michael Stünzi became second today and defended their third place in the overall ranking, just one minute behind the BiXS Pro Team. With these little gaps, especially in a stage race, the fight within the top teams stays very exciting and is definitely not decided yet.
Swiss Epic women
In the women’s competition, the Swiss Esther Süss and the Swede Jennie Stenerhag from Team Meerendal CBC were able to extend their lead today.
They arrived at the finish line after 4h 20min, only three minutes ahead of Swiss rider Ariane Lüthi and the Belgian Alice Pirard from Team Spur – Wallonie, who had to cope with technical problems and a crash today. The Swiss Cornelia Hug and Florence Darbellay of the Scott Womens – R’adys team remain third.
SWISS EPIC Men: Today’s Podium
1. CENTURION VAUDE, Daniel Geismayr & Jochen Käss, 3h 30min
2. Team Texpa-Simplon, Christoph Soukup & Michael Stünzi, 3h 32min
3. BiXS Pro Team, Konny Looser & Oliver Zurbrügg, 3h 35min
SWISS EPIC Women: Today’s Podium
1. Team Meerendal CBC, Esther Süss & Jennie Stenerhag, 4h 20min
2. Spur – Wallonie, Ariane Kleinhans & Alice Pirard, 4h 23min
3. Scott Womens – R’adys, Cornelia Hug & Florence Darbellay, 4h 29min
SWISS EPIC Men: Overall Ranking
1. CENTURION VAUDE, Daniel Geismayr & Jochen Käss, 9h 00min
2. BiXS Pro Team, Konny Looser & Oliver Zurbrügg, 9h 02min
3. Team Texpa-Simplon, Christoph Soukup & Michael Stünzi, 9h 03min
SWISS EPIC Women: Overall Ranking
1. Team Meerendal CBC, Esther Süss & Jennie Stenerhag, 10h 54min
2. Spur – Wallonie, Ariane Kleinhans & Alice Pirard, 11h 10min
3. Scott Womens – R’adys, Cornelia Hug & Florence Darbellay, 11h 33min