Due to heavy rainfall and snow in upper areas, Stage 3 of the Perskindol Swiss Epic route has been adjusted. Instead of individual starts on the mountain at the Rinderhütte, the race started in blocks in Leukerbad, so that it all took place earlier and in lower areas.
The adjusted route covered 42 km, with 1700m climbing.
Despite the spontaneous adjustment of the route, the athletes had to pedal mainly in the rain today. Team Centurion Vaude rode the wet but short stage perfectly: The Austrian Daniel Geismayr and the German Jochen Käss arrived at the finish line after only 2h 09min and extended their lead in the overall ranking by almost five minutes.
Behind them, the Swiss Konny Looser and Oliver Zurbrügg from the BiXS Pro Team had a tough fight with the Austrian Christoph Soukup and the Swiss Michael Stünzi, Team Texpa-Simplon. The BiXS Pro Team was able to make it in the end and arrived at the finish line second, but only just 15 seconds ahead Team Texpa-Simplon.
In the overall ranking Centurion Vaude keeps their lead, some seven minutes ahead of the BiXS Pro Team, closely followed by Texpa-Simplon. The race remains exciting.
The Swiss Epic women
In today’s difficult conditions, the women also had a hard duel. In the end, Swiss Ariane Luethi and the Belgian Alice Pirard, Team Spur – Wallonie, won the stage with 2h 53min – but only 20 seconds ahead of Team Meerendal CBC with the Swiss Esther Süss and the Swede Jennie Stenerhag, who keep the overall lead.
From tomorrow, the participants of the short formats EPIC 2 DAY and EPIC 2 DAY FLOW will also join the race for the last two stages. The rider’s field will be almost doubled.
SWISS EPIC Men: Today’s Podium
1. CENTURION VAUDE, Daniel Geismayr & Jochen Käss, 2h 09min
2. BiXS Pro Team, Konny Looser & Oliver Zurbrügg, 2h 14min 30sec
3. Team Texpa-Simplon, Christoph Soukup & Michael Stünzi, 2h 14min 43 sec
SWISS EPIC Women: Today’s Podium
1. Spur – Wallonie, Ariane Kleinhans & Alice Pirard, 2h 53min
2. Team Meerendal CBC, Esther Süss & Jennie Stenerhag, 2h 54min
3. Scott Womens – R’adys, Cornelia Hug & Florence Darbellay, 3h 04min
SWISS EPIC Men: Overall Ranking
1. CENTURION VAUDE, Daniel Geismayr & Jochen Käss, 11h 09min
2. BiXS Pro Team, Konny Looser & Oliver Zurbrügg, 11h 16min
3. Team Texpa-Simplon, Christoph Soukup & Michael Stünzi, 11h 18min
SWISS EPIC Women: Overall Ranking
1. Team Meerendal CBC, Esther Süss & Jennie Stenerhag, 13h 48min
2. Spur – Wallonie, Ariane Kleinhans & Alice Pirard, 14h 03min
3. Scott Womens – R’adys, Cornelia Hug & Florence Darbellay, 14h 36min